Monday 3 November 2014

HORST Photographer Of Style


Yesterday, I went to see Horst at the V&A. Before I went to the exhibition I did not know anything about Horst so did not know what to expect. The exhibition started with his early works, beautifully glamorous women, in shadowy lighting, a style that became his signature. His style was very obvious, the figures looked statuesque and youthful and the photographs felt perfectly precise. One of the captions wrote "three-dimensional and dramatic, striking without harness", this summarised how his lighting especially using spotlighting to highlight key features made such great images. This style continued through his surrealist work too.

Something I found interesting was how different his colour photographs were from his black and white pieces. They still had the precision and the perfect women but they were a lot more fun. The colours were bright and many were almost theatrical, the women wearing rich fabrics and costume jewellery.

I really enjoyed the exhibition and what I took most was that I felt like he had a style of woman and an audience which is something I could take into my work in order to make it stronger.


Images:

Image 1- Horst exhibition banner, V&A, Image, Available at: http://www.vam.ac.uk/__data/assets/image/0020/242453/horst_banner.jpg, Accessed: 2014

Image 2- Mainbocher Corset 1939, V&A, Image, Available at: http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/exhibition-horst-photographer-of-style/about-the-exhibition/, Accessed: 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment