Tuesday 4 November 2014

Industry Project


Today we started our industry project, where we chose a particular designer who we would then ‘work’ for. I chose Comme des Garcons and within the brand I was assigned to be a textiles designer. I chose this brand as I was attracted to their image, it is outrageous and individual and I knew it would push me as a designer. Being assigned textiles was interesting as although I find it fascinating it isn't specifically what I would like to do. However within Comme des Garcons textiles feels more like surface design and manipulation which I think will be to my advantage and I shall hopefully be able to incorporate this more into design as I will have a better understanding of it. 

We were put into groups for this task and were given quotes to work from. I think this works well as it gives us all a point to start with and expand off in different ways. One difficulty I have found is that we seem to very contrasting views and ideas, which could become an issue but I am hoping will mean that we have more to work with and can create a stronger concept as long as we all listen to each other. 

‘there are massive gaps in this essay, it is broken and re-wound, not always knowing and yet searching. Respond, Exchange, Converse. Be traveller in this novel, Even if only for a while.’ 

From this quote my initial thoughts are to look at fabric manipulation involving distressed fabrics and knotting as well as picking out traveller and thinking about what fabrics could be contrasted such as a waterproof fabric with leather as well as emphasising practical aspects such as pockets into a textile design. Tonight I shall research these initial ideas further to create a visual recording that we can then work with as a group.

(Images: Various Comme des Garcons Images, Available at www.style.com, Accessed: 04/11/14)

No comments:

Post a Comment