Tuesday 25 November 2014

Deconstruct/ Reconstruct Day 4

Today we have been starting to work towards our final piece. I have been doing this using all my development and sketches from the past week to work out what I have liked most and this will be my final piece starting point. Today I have focused on my first final piece. 

For my first final piece I am using a large sports jacket and turning it into a dress. I have distorted the main body of the jacket by turning it round as well as detaching the arms and lining. For this I have decided to focus on using the original details of the jacket such as the elasticated hem and zips to create the main interest of my final piece. I am focusing on using up all the elements of this garment to completely transform it rather than mix multiple pieces together as this creates an interesting outcome that distorts the jacket itself rather than hiding it between other garments. I also like that it has a new feel without being overly layered and muddled which I found with many of my initial developments. To influence this piece I have looked at the designer Christopher Raeburn and his recent collection using up cycled parachutes. A lot of these piece had the same relaxed feel to them that I am trying to achieve with my final piece with a sports influence and elasticated details. 

Today I also had a group tutorial with Becca. I found this really helpful as it gave me a chance to see other peoples work as well as gain their opinion on my work and what I need to do to improve. The main points I found I can improve on is having more stand work images in my book that are possibly larger images as this is key for this project. I also need to have a more unexpected element in my work I found, something that isn't exactly to the brief. Looking particularly at Lena’s work showed this, she had a really fun feel to her work that I enjoyed and had a lot of abstract drawings and ideas which is something I could use in my work to boost my grade up as well as create an addition for my portfolio. 

For tomorrow I am going to sew my first final piece as well as start my second. I am also going to think about using photoshop to create some designs and illustrations that show my final outcomes in a different way so I have more skills in my sketchbook and for my portfolio.


No comments:

Post a Comment