Wednesday 26 November 2014

Deconstruct/ Reconstruct Day 5

I started my second final piece today. I developed it from one of my initial experimentations. To contrast with my first final piece which had a sporty starting point this one had a more formal/workwear starting point. I created it out of a wool skirt and a pair of grey trousers. I decided to use the skirts waist as a neckline as the zip opening created an interesting shape meaning the rest of the skirt could become the main body of it. For this piece I am trying to combine the different garments to make a sleek outcome. It is easy to combine them and it to have a mis-matched look, I have found, so I wanted to create something that was well put together. I wasn't directly influenced by anything for this piece, it was a development from an earlier experimentation, however the idea of reconstructing tailored pieces is similar to the work of Comme des Garçons whose Spring 2011 collection did this. My initial experimentation using this shape of garment features a shirt sleeve at back, I decided to remove this as the contrast between the pale lightweight shirt and the heavy dark wools didn't work well. I did decide to add a half skirt feature to the bodice out of a trouser leg as I felt when it was just a short bodice it was a bit bland but the skirt created a more interesting silhouette. 


For our deadline tomorrow I need to work on finishing my sketchbook. I think I mainly need to go through adding more colour into my work as this will give my designs a better understand of how they would look once made as well as giving a hint at the fabrics used. It will also mean my sketchbook is more interesting to look at for others as the colour will catch peoples attention. 


No comments:

Post a Comment