Thursday 20 November 2014

Deconstruct/ Reconstruct Day 3

We had a number of exercises to complete today both 2D and 3D. First we worked with photocopies of our garments and using cut up basic garment shapes we experimented with the placement of details. From this we then thought about how we could translate this onto the stand. I enjoyed this exercise as the 2D task allowed me to develop a lot of ideas quickly meaning I have a bigger collection of imagery to work from. Translating this to 3D worked well as it gave me a starting point to how I was manipulating the item on the stand, rather than blindly draping. I did this using a shirt and having the 2D ideas helped as it meant I had a reference to wear to create folds as well as where to place details such as the cuff and collar. I also found it helpful as I was struggling with creating ideas for skirts and trousers out of my garments and doing this exercise meant I could design them more easily which means I have a starting point for more development now. 

Our second task today was to scrunch up our garments and photocopy them again. We then had to cut out interesting shapes from these and add them to a figure. Again this meant I could develop a lot of designs quickly and this exercise meant I had a lot more abstract ideas to work from. This was helpful as I could then use these on how to manipulate the garments in a more abstract and artistic way on the stand. I am now going to develop these and combine them with the other techniques to create more designs with a more contemporary look. 

Generating more and more ideas is helping me to see more what is working well and what I would like to take forward to my final garment. I am enjoying working with the wool bottoms and shirts as well as the denims, because the fabric are easy to manipulate into interesting shapes around the body. I am going to continue developing this over the weekend along with manipulation of the jeans because of the interesting waist detailing. I am also going to explore more using the sports jacket with the elasticated bottom and cuffs to see how I can use this to enhance what I have already designed because I haven't explored yet the gathering of fabric instead of folding and draping. 


No comments:

Post a Comment