Wednesday 19 November 2014

Deconstruct/Reconstruct Day 2

Today we carried on with the development of deconstructing our garments to generate design ideas. We were cutting along the seam lines and draping them onto the stand.
I found this workshop today very helpful as actually cutting the garments up made them better to manipulate on the stand, as it meant parts of the garment were flatter making them better for draping. It also meant I could create focus on the detailed parts of the garment such as the waistline on jeans or trousers so I could create more interesting shapes. I found this exercise better than yesterdays as it enabled me to created more precise shapes that could become garments compared to yesterdays work which felt quite jumbled and messy. 

Today I decided to use the garments which had more structured materials to create my designs. I chose these as the heavier materials created stronger silhouettes which feel more exciting to develop further. From doing this there are particular ideas I feel I would like to develop. Features I liked where using trouser legs as sleeves because they are wide and too long so can be folded up or left to hang. I also liked using details off of garments such as waistbands on trousers and shirt cuffs as the detail in them such as the stitching, buttons and zips are interesting to play with as decoration or the feature of a design. I have also decided from today that I prefer creating more structured shapes rather than draped, hanging shapes which feel more boring and don't make use of all the fabric which can be moulded into new shapes better complimenting the figure as well. 

From this I think I need to continue working on the stand to experiment with more shapes till I find what works best, I think working with the shapes I have already made as well as doing more stand work will allow this. I also think I need to start thinking about colours and what colours I put together as this will help in my final design construction.

(stand work, authors own, 21/11/14)

No comments:

Post a Comment