Tuesday 6 January 2015

Politics and Fashion

Today was the start of our politics and fashion project. I am excited about this project as it will give me a different sort of starting point than I usually choose which has more depth behind it. We started with a brief of the project, where Becca introduced us to possible political and ethical ideas we could use such as race, independence and religion as well as designers we could look into such as Vivienne Westwood, Hussein Chalayan and Katherine Hamnett. Initially I have found Chalayan's work interesting how it explores the middle east, it is unique and makes a statement unlike other designers I have seen. I also think McQueens way of creating a statement is interesting as his shows were very theatrical and make the audience very aware of their surroundings too such as the SS01 VOSS collection where they were forced to look in a mirror and which also contained the clam dress which was destroyed during the show representing throw away fashion.

My initial reaction for this project was to look into animal testing as this is an issue I have always found very interesting and thought provoking. I dislike the fact the animals do not have a choice in the matter and are tortured and subjected to so many tests, for in many cases our cosmetics which is an unnecessary cause for such extremes. At the moment I am researching into the sorts of tests and extremes the animals are put under to start this project but I am looking forward to going to the trip day tomorrow to see what other ideas I could get for the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment