Wednesday 7 January 2015

Politics and Fashion

Today we went to the Women Fashion Power exhibition at the Design Museum. The exhibition focused on women's fashion through the late 19th century to the present day focusing on how women have dressed to show power and how fashion has created freedom. It was very interesting and I found the exhibition informative on explaining how fashion has shown the change in attitudes of women however I found a lot of the information I did already know. I do continue to find it fascinating how much fashion shows the change in society and how it has liberated women through the abandonment of the corset to the power suit. Another thing I found thought provoking is how it has appeared that through history for women to appear powerful and in line with the male gender that we have to dress like men or replicate how they dress with 'power suits' and androgynous style. This makes me question whether feminism and how we all see it makes sense, as if a woman cannot dress very feminine and still be taken seriously then equality doesn't exist yet.

However today from going to this exhibition I think I am going to continue to focus on animal testing for my project as this is a problem I have thought about since a much younger age and is something my mum believed in and supported when she was alive so I would like to explore this further. My initial thoughts are to explore the type of tests that are used and the cruelty this has on animals as well as the clinical idea of all the procedures and labs. I think this project will be useful in my portfolio as will give a 'grittier' project which I am going to be more experimental with, trying to push myself out of silhouettes I have typically begun to use and to play more with colour.


(Image: Woman Fashion Power exhibition, http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/fashion/547656/women-fashion-power-exhibition.html, Accessed: 07/01/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment