Wednesday 28 January 2015

Detail

Today I started deconstructing the images I collected yesterday so I could begin to understand the construction of the Victorian dresses. I have mainly been focusing on the details I can see in the images I collected. Focusing at this initial stage at Queen Victoria and her mourning period a lot of the dresses she wears have a similar style. She wore dresses with typically square necklines and covered buttons down the front, they also had quite simple detailing, lace around the necklines and cuffs and trimmings on the skirt. I began by drawing these today which I think went quite well as I had been finding it difficult to see the detail in the images at first. I can now try experimenting with them, photocopying and enlarging them so I can collage them onto figures as well as experimenting on the stand. This will give me a starting point for generating some initial design ideas. 

What I now feel I need to do is researching more into the general fashions of mourning dresses of that era and the specific construction of the dresses. It is fascinating how the gowns are constructed such as the layering of skirts, the hidden pockets for watches and belongings and the fastenings used. Once I have a better understanding of this I can start combining it with the aesthetic decorations. It will also help me with creating a unique construction of the garments in my collection rather than them just having victorian influenced fancy decorations on their surface. 

(Sketchbook Pages, Authors Own, 28/1/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment