Tuesday 27 January 2015

Detail

Today we started the new detail project. From the briefing this morning I am excited about this project, it is focusing on picking out details as a starting point for designing. This excites me as it is something I do need to focus on more as I often just focus on silhouette instead of detail. I also feel this will give me a greater understanding of construction as the garments for the final looks need to be carefully considered and designed around details rather than draped on a stand. 

In the brief we were introduced to designers who use the technique of looking to historical detail such as most obviously McQueen and Galliano who looked often to the victorian era and the french revolution respectively. Seeing how they have used this technique is interesting to see what techniques they have taken from the eras and how they have translated this to a catwalk. I particularly like McQueen’s victorian inspired dresses from AW07 which look from the era and beautifully detailed yet still modern. 


I have decided from this project to focus on an area of English history as this is my heritage. I am also going to focus more on the the upper classy and royalty rather than the working class and this isn't something I have focused on before. From this I have decided to focus on the Victorian era and Queen Victoria and more specifically on the mourning dress of this era. I decided this as it is fascinating how strict it was on how the women in particular have to mourn and how there is particular dress for the different periods of mourning. It is also interesting and quite sad how Queen Victoria mourned for 40 years till her death after her husband dies so I think looking into how her dress portrayed how she was feeling over the years is interesting. I have collected some images of Queen Victoria at the moment which I can now pick out details from and draw, I am finding the details of the chest at the moment fascinating in the detail of the stitches and fabrics used. To help me I now need to look into general mourning dresses of the same period as well as Queen Victorias which will help me get a better idea of the ‘fashionable’ looks of the time as well as close up detailed pictures which will be helpful to draw from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment