Tuesday 9 September 2014

Design Workshops

Yesterday we spent the day in designing workshops working on how to get ideas down quickly. The workshop began by focusing on details in clothing. We picked two details we liked about what we were wearing and drew them quickly. From this we broke it down into shapes, like the example of the collar of a Vivien Westwood shirt being broken into three triangles. Breaking items down into shapes means we can focus on the three points of: detail, shape and line. I found this idea really interesting as it allows you to see items and images in new ways and in a more basic form which are then easier to work with.

Following this we started ‘speed designing’ having 5 minutes for drawing ideas for pockets, collars, sleeves and seams. I found this exercise really useful, without the time to over think you can create interesting shapes in quantity which gives you more to work from when designing. We then used our design details to apply these into quick garment designs following the same format. We finished the day by drawing out five outfit designs, before picking our favourite to share with the rest of the room.

I found this workshop really helpful, having the time pressure means more designs are being produced quickly which are usually just simple but are then helpful to expand on into more detailed designs. I want to use this process in the structure/attachment project to develop on the imagery and research I am using by finding shapes I can then turn into ideas. I think to improve I should try although while working quick to think slightly more into the details of ideas such as possible surface texture or seams as well as pushing myself further into more experimental shapes. I found being able to see everyone else’s work at the end of the day was also useful as opens your eyes to how others are presenting their work and to how it could make your own work better, I found I could add some more personality into my work to improve my presentation skills as it makes designs look more energetic and exciting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment