Wednesday 10 September 2014

3D/ Stand Workshops


I found today a really useful day, we spent the day working on the stands doing different workshops. I hadn't used the stands for design development before so it was a new way of working. We tried out 4 different methods, laying flat shapes to the stand, building off the stand by joining flat shapes to make 3D shapes, draping using one big shape and finally creating seam lines and silhouettes using strips. I most enjoyed the joining of flat shapes to create 3D structures, I felt this created really interesting silhouettes which will be really helpful when designing details of garments such as sleeves and necklines as it allows you to visual the shapes better and how construction could work, which can be difficult when just designing flat.

I also found these exercises useful as they help build directly off some of my sources of inspiration. The joining to create 3D structures is reminiscent of Ibrahim Mahama's work which I saw at the Saatchi where dupe sacks were roughly joined with raw seams which I am looking at for attachment. It also was useful for looking at a metal curved structure I have been looking at and from which I decided the shapes I would use today were from, I shall be investigating this more next in the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment