Monday 6 October 2014

Magical Mystery Fashion Tour


Today we were sent on a magical mystery fashion tour around central London in order to gain a better awareness of the world of fashion. Although the weather was against us we wandered round our list of streets and shops exploring how collections and brands are presented as well as visiting some fabric shops for samples. 

My main observation was how brands present their collections in store compared to the usual high street shops I would visit. It is a lot more considered and there is a lot less on show. This means that everything feels equal and can be seen unlike on the high street where everything is crammed in over the top of each other. The shops also felt more like experiences rather than just stores. The design was created around the clothing. This was particularly the case in places like Dover Street Market where the conceptual design theme continues throughout the store where the cleverly designed collections are complemented by birds in cabinets and a giant boat as you enter. This experience makes you enjoy the clothing better and appreciate its artistry. I also found that a lot of how collections are presented in store and in their windows reflect the brand, a good example is Moschino's bright, almost 'tacky' and fun window compared to Ralph Lauren's window which was subdued and girly, which each reflect the different images they have. 

Another observation I had was that the clothes didn't feel like they were there to please everyone, they were designed for a specific type of person. Some of the collections (specifically in Dover Street Market) didn't even feel wearable but were stunning, clever pieces. I think this is an idea I can take forward with me in my designing as sometimes I do find I'm designing thinking too much about wearability rather than just creating something exciting and new. I also think picking a type of person for the collection could help with my designs and give it a stronger direction. 

Finally I found looking round the fabric stores we found around Berwick Street helpful as it helps to see what is available. I found it was helpful to look for the fabrics within my colour as it meant I could see what textures could work together such as a silk with a rough cotton or a denim with a wool. This is something I want to continue researching as my project develops. 






















































All Images (Authors Own, 06/10/14)

No comments:

Post a Comment