Monday 20 October 2014

Development of Final Design


Today I created the pattern for my jacket. To create it from the draped piece of fabric I cut it up into sections before redrawing it onto new calico and adding seam allowances. To do this was experimental as I wasn't sure it would work but I did it in sections putting them onto the mannequin as I went and I am pleased with how it worked. The next step is to create it in my chosen fabrics. I also feel I want to work more into the surface textures when I have constructed the garment, thinking about stitching into the fabrics and patching other fabrics onto it thinking about fraying of the fabrics. This will give my garment more of a boro influence.


Today I also spoke to Rebecca about my sketchbook. She gave me some really helpful feedback and aspects I could work on before assessment. Some of her feedback included that I could have more designs on some of the pages so that I have fully explored some of my subjects better and that these designs could feature some more experimental and less safe silhouettes. She also suggested that I work more with scale and working into designs, exploring how they could look different in different sizes and well as working more into the way fabric can be manipulated and the stitchings that could be used especially with the boro influence. I also need to think more about the pages being less busy in some areas, I especially think this applies to my accessories section which I do feel is too crowded.

In reflection, I think my final piece is developing well and once I have basically constructed it I can begin to work into it more to create a more exciting piece with original design features. I also want to work more into my sketchbook, exploring more into surface work such as fraying and stitchings as well as going back and thinking about how I can improve some of my work.

(All images: Authors own 20/10/14)

No comments:

Post a Comment