Tuesday 2 December 2014

3 word project- Day 1

To start this new project we went on a trip round London picking exhibitions and places to visit that we thought related to our chosen words. The three words I picked were Isaac Newton, conceal and grotesque. I chose them as they are quite contrasting so I felt I could create an exciting project from them. So on Tuesday I visited the Wellcome Collection, the Saatchi and the Science Museum. 

At the Wellcome collection I saw the sexology exhibition which I thought could relate to my words of conceal and grotesque. There were a few interesting aspects of the exhibitions, I found the older section of the exhibition more fascinating because of the way sex was a less common topic so many references were hidden whereas now it is a more open topic. This was particularly the case in ancient china when many sexual imagery and objects were banned so they were hidden in side ornaments and things like vanity cases. Overall I didn't really find the exhibition grotesque, it felt scientific in places featuring a lot of research and discoveries but that it also focused a lot on the attitudes of the scientists researching it such as Freud and Marie Stopes. 

I didn't find the Saatchi very useful when I visited, I saw the Post-Pop exhibition but I found I didn't understand it. I found that I thought the small introductions into the rooms more thought provoking than the work I saw. A lot of the work was very garish and bright and almost silly which I didn't find inspiring. I found Tsang Kin-Wah’s wallpaper interesting because from a distance it looked like a pretty floral pattern but when you looked close it was made up of swear words so was a complete contrast to how it appeared, this could relate to conceal.

Finally I went to the Science Museum. Here I was looking for research on Isaac Newton but I couldn't find much on him other than a very small paragraph. However I found some other areas of the museum interesting such as the space room which can relate to Newton’s work on gravity. I particularly found there the globe which showed the movement of the tides interesting as it looked so delicate and beautiful yet is so powerful. The other area I found most interesting was the maths section, everything felt so complex and detailed, the spirographs and harmonographs were of particular interest because of the shapes they were creating. 


Although I don’t think I have found a solid idea from today I think visiting the museums and galleries has given me more scope and ideas for me to now research further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment