Friday 20 February 2015

Pick and Mix- Week 1

This week I started the pick and mix project. For the project I have chosen the words:
Twins
Frank Stella
Drawing
Sculpture
Plastics

I chose the words that I thought would be a challenge to myself so are colourful and playful and unlike other projects. I also chose these words as they gave some initial ideas such as the idea of an outfit that would join two people like conjoined twins and also creating something quite 3D and abstract on the body like a type of sculpture.

TUESDAY- I started the week by researching my chosen words particularly Frank Stella, gathering images of his work. I didn't know his work and chose him because of the shapes in his prints and the bold colours. From his work I particularly liked the shiny element to his sculptures which felt plastic like as well as the mix of bright reds, yellows and blues. I then began by dissecting his work, picking out shapes in his pictures as well as the colours I liked which I could then incorporate into designs.

WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY- I cut out shapes from his work and collaged them onto a figure to start to generate quick design ideas as well as drawing round shapes and seeing how they could work joining two figures. I think these have given me some ideas to now work with and develop. Although this was helpful in creating some initial designs to work with I need to develop this further as they feel very basic and not overly wearable. They also feel very flat and I need to develop the ideas to create something more 3D incorporating the sculpture word. I can use these shapes to work on the stand which can help overcome the flat appearance of the designs so far. By cutting out a number of these shapes I can pin them together on the mannequin to create more ideas and something more sculptural.

I am also going to think more about fabrics. I want something quite rigid so that I can create a 3D shapes, I have started to think about foam sheets which have a good strong colour and are easy manipulatable. I also need to research more into plastic materials such as PVC next week that I could use for the 3D outcome. Next week my aim is also to work faster I am finding this project quite difficult so have unconsciously been working a lot slower than normal and I need to pick up the pace in order to generate many more designs.



(Sketchbook pages, Authors Own, 20/2/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment