Friday 6 February 2015

Detail- Week 2

This week I focused on generating ideas for the detail project using my collected research and imagery. I also had to focus on creating my portfolio both online and physical which has slightly interrupted the project. I'm really enjoying this project so I am doing it as a three week project meaning I can use this week to fully develop my ideas rather than create the outcome too.

TUESDAY- After collating all my research and drawings I started by photocopying the details and collaging them together to generate ideas that were quite conceptual but that I could then work from when designing. This worked out really well for generating ideas as I could create them quickly layering the photocopies and meant they pushed my ideas to creating abstract and quite interesting silhouettes. Although these didn't create wearable ideas and were too busy in places I can take elements from them which I can develop into further designs. I started to do this by photocopying the collages and drawing into them to create garment ideas from them, this allowed me to see how the victorian details could be combined with more simple shapes to create a modern end outcome.

WEDNESDAY- I then created similar collages as yesterday out of blocks of colour and fabrics from gathered images to generate more ideas to then design from. I found creating these collages very helpful as it made me be more creative with silhouettes which is something I found I needed to work on from previous projects where I have gravitated towards similar silhouettes. It also helped me to work out how I could use colour in the project which is also something I have been trying to improve throughout this course. Having a clear colour scheme throughout this project has helped me with this as I have been thinking through the whole of my design development how I can combine the colours and what works well rather than just deciding at the end of the project which is something I have done before.

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND THURSDAY- I started to design from the collages I created the past two days, thinking about my favourite details such as ruffle trims, covered buttons and oversized sleeves. However I only started the designs quite roughly expanding on one or two of the collages as I spent the majority of the rest of my week finishing my portfolios for submissions and interview on Monday.

Next week continuing this project I am going to work towards my final six outfit line up by creating many quick sketches to decide what details and features I shall work on most. I need to remember to think about colour and fabrication especially nearing the end of the project.




(Online portfolio pages showing detail project development so far, authors own, 6/2/15)


No comments:

Post a Comment